2016‒2017 Academic Year Japan America Friendship Fund Scholarship
The Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures is please to offer about ten Japanese America Friendship Fund Scholarships to students who are planning to study in Japan during the summer 2017 and for the coming school year. The Japan America Friendship Fund is a travel scholarship intended to provide assistance for students, who will study Japanese language and culture in country. By so doing, they will be participating in sustaining and improving Japanese/American relations and understanding. This fund is made possible by the generosity of the late University of Oregon Professor Emerita, Yoko McClain.
To be eligible for a Japanese America Friendship Fund Scholarship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
1) Candidates must be U.S. Citizens.
2) Candidates must be majoring or minoring in Japanese in the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (EALL).
3) Candidates must have applied to study abroad in Japan for summer 2017 or for the coming school year. When you apply for this scholarship, you donʼ’t need to have been accepted yet.
Award and Requirements:
1) The recipients, who study abroad for at least one academic term, will be awarded $2000 each. Those students who study abroad for more than a single academic term are eligible to receive $3000 each. These scholarships will be awarded to about 10 students.
2) To be considered as a candidate for the Japan America Friendship Fund, the applicants will submit the following: (a) a completed application form (b) language reference form filled out by the instructor of your most recently completed (and graded) Japanese language class.
3) EALL faculty will select the recipients based on their classroom performance and other pertinent factors.
4) Upon completion of their study abroad program, the recipients will each turn in a one or two page report reflecting their study abroad experiences along with some photos.
If you have any questions, please contact Yoko O’Brien (firstname.lastname@example.org).