Freeman Internship Fellowships
Administered by the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies
With a growing number of young Americans graduating into careers that will engage them with colleagues in Asia, the Freeman Foundation seeks to assist colleges and universities in expanding opportunities for U.S. students to work as interns in East and Southeast Asia*, as part of their undergraduate or graduate studies.
The Freeman Foundation’s major objectives include strengthening the bonds of friendship between the United States and countries of East and Southeast Asia. Through education and educational exchanges, the Foundation hopes to develop a greater appreciation of Asian cultures, histories and economies in the United States and a better understanding of the American people and of American institutions and purposes by the peoples of Asia.
The UO has been awarded a grant from the Freeman Foundation to award and administer these internship fellowships, which will provide stipends to UO student interns to offset travel and living expenses overseas.
To be eligible for a Freeman Internship Fellowship, candidates must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- be enrolled at the UO as a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student;
- be in good academic standing;
- have applied to and/or been accepted into an internship in East or Southeast Asia through IE3 Global Internships, or through connections with UO departments, UO faculty, or UO alumni;
- demonstrate financial need;
- have a strong interest in East and/or Southeast Asia
Award and Requirements
Fellowships of up to $6,000 are available. Award amounts will depend on the length of the internship, location, budget, and other internship support. Internships must be at least 8 weeks in length to be considered for a Freeman Fellowship.
Following their return to UO, all awardees will be required to share their experiences and lessons learned with other students through presentations, mentoring, and/or publications.
*For this program, the eligible countries include Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
A PDF version of the application is available here: Freeman Application
To be considered for a Freeman Internship Fellowship, candidates must submit a completed application by the deadlines below:
- September 1, 2014 (for winter/spring internships)
- November 15, 2014 (for winter/spring internships)
- January 25, 2015 (for spring/summer internships)
- March 20, 2015 (for summer/fall internships)
- April 15, 2015 (for summer/fall internships)
For more information about IE3 Global Internships, please visit http://ie3global.ous.edu