2018‒2019 Japan America Friendship Fund Scholarship
The Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures is please to offer multiple Japanese America Friendship Fund Scholarships to students who are planning to study in Japan during the summer 2018 and for the coming school year. The Japan America Friendship Fund is a travel scholarship intended to provide assistance for students who will study Japanese language and culture in country. By so doing, they will be participating in sustaining and improving Japanese/American relations and understanding. This fund is made possible by the generosity of the late University of Oregon Professor Emerita, Yoko McClain.
To be eligible for a Japanese America Friendship Fund Scholarship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
1) Candidates must be U.S. Citizens.
2) Candidates must be majoring or minoring in Japanese in the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (EALL).
3) Candidates must have applied to study abroad in Japan for summer 2018 or for the coming school year. When you apply for this scholarship, you donʼt need to have been accepted yet.
Award and Requirements:
1) The recipients, who study abroad for at least one academic term, will be awarded $2000 each. Those students who study abroad for more than a single academic term are eligible to receive $3000 each. No student will be awarded more than $3000 in a single application cycle. The application cycle is from summer to spring each year.
2) To be considered as a candidate for the Japan America Friendship Fund, the applicants will submit the following document via email to Miku Fukasaku firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 20, 2018: (a) a completed application form (b) language reference form filled out by the instructor of your most recently completed (and graded) Japanese language class.
3) EALL faculty will select the recipients based on their classroom performance and other pertinent factors.
4) The recipients will submit proof of acceptance of the program abroad before receiving the scholarship.
5) Upon completion of their program, the recipients will each turn in a one or two page report reflecting their experiences along with some photos and give a short presentation on their experiences.
If you have any questions, please contact Miku Fukasaku (email@example.com).
Japan America Friendship Fund Application
Japan America Friendship Fund Reference Form
Japan American Friendship Fund Announcement